Top News

Burin fire department offers oven safety reminder

These ovens mitts, which were stored in the lower drawer of a stove, caught fire, causing significant smoke damage to a home in Burin. Burin Volunteer Fire Department's Facebook page
These ovens mitts, which were stored in the lower drawer of a stove, caught fire, causing significant smoke damage to a home in Burin. Burin Volunteer Fire Department's Facebook page

Oven mitts stored in stove pan caught fire, causing smoke damage to home

BURIN, NL – You can never be too careful around ovens.

The Burin Volunteer Fire Department is warning about an incident on its Facebook page today, hoping to draw attention to the dangers of placing flammable materials in an oven’s lower drawer.

According to a post, a pair of oven mitts stored in a stove pan caught fire and caused significant smoke damage to a home in the community.

The department is also reminding residents to change smoke detector batteries and test them monthly.

Recent Stories