Schools in Newfoundland and Labrador are awash in a sea of pink today, Feb. 28.
It’s Pink Shirt Day, an international movement that raises awareness of bullying, its effect and how it can be prevented.
The theme for this year is ‘Nice Needs No Filter’.
In addition to wearing pink, students are participating in a variety of activities to promote kindness in their schools and communities.
“Projects and events such as Pink Shirt Day bring awareness to bullying and symbolize that across our province, we do not tolerate bullying at home, at school or at work,” Education and Early Childhood Development Minister Dale Kirby said in a news release.
The provincial government used the occasion to announce this year’s recipients of Safe and Inclusive Awards. The 32 schools will share a total of $13,000 in funding.
“There are so many amazing initiatives happening throughout the province to ensure kindness and respect are valued among the school community,” said Tony Stack, the interim CEO and director of education with the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District.
“Many of these projects are spearheaded by students and staff, and we are pleased to see them recognized and supported, particularly on Pink Shirt Day, an event focused on being kind to and standing up for each other.”
Safe and Inclusive Awards recipients for 2018
* Regional Project – Ascension Collegiate, Baccalieu Collegiate, Carbonear Collegiate and Crescent Collegiate – Social Justice: Family of Schools Project - $700
* Brother Rice - School-Wide PBS Stairwell Visuals - $400
* Crescent Collegiate - Pride Week - $300
* MQP - Look at Us! Teaching for Diversity and Strong Communities via Inclusive Children - $300
* St. Augustine’s - Building an Inclusive School with Lego/Breakfast - $500
* St. Edward’s School – One Step to a Better World - $400
* St. Peter’s High School – Navigating the Teen Years - $300
* Vanier – The Very Inclusive Learning Commons - $300
* Whitbourne Elementary – Whitbourne Elementary Wellness Week - $300
* Sprucewood Academy – Lego Wall - $600
* Riverwood Academy – Peace Week – To Increase Visibility of LGBTQ - $600
* St. Marks – Greenhouse Project - $600
* Avoca Collegiate – Future Foodies Project - $500
* Twillingate Island Elementary – Kindness Week Project - $500
* St. Anne’s School – Friends Til the End project - $500
* Lewisporte Intermediate – Delete Day-Mental Health & Wellness - $250
* Cottrell’s Cove Academy – Cougar Pride - $250
* Brian Peckford Primary – Champions of Inclusion - $250
* Cape John Collegiate - Get Real Presentation - $300
* Copper Ridge -- Baie Verte Peninsula Mental Health Summit - $500
* E. A Butler - Get Real Presentation - $300
* Grandy’s River Collegiate - SOLE Bingo - $300
* H.G. Fillier Academy - Caught Caring - $300
* Jakeman All Grade - Building JAG Respect/Get Real Presentation - $300
* Main River Academy - Learning Commons - $150
* MSB Regional Academy - Get Real Presentation - $300
* Stephenville Middle School - PBIS Poster Design - $250
* Templeton Academy - Inclusive Environments - $250
* Viking Trail Academy - Buddy Benches - $300
* White Hills Academy - Safe and Inclusive Corner - $300
* J.R. Smallwood Middle School – School Wide PBS - $500
* Lake Melville School – Attendance Means Success - $500