The man — who is not being named to protect the girl’s identity — faces 17 charges, including sexual assault, sexual interference involving a person under the age of 16, forcible confinement, uttering threats and breaching court orders.
When the trial began today in Newfoundland Supreme Court, he pleaded guilty to two counts — flight from police and breaching court orders.
The 49-year-old — who is not in custody — was charged following an incident on Feb. 7, 2013, after the girl reported to police that she was being held against her will.
When officers arrived, the man was said to have ran from his pickup truck.
The girl, who was raised by the man from a young age and is now 18, told officers that the sexual abuse had been ongoing since she was five years old.
The man is represented by defence lawyer Derek Hogan. The Crown prosecutor is Lisa Stead.
Several police officers took the stand Monday. The trial is expected to last for more than a week.