Top News

Community-wide response

Bob Hennebury acknowledged things could have ended much worse when his nephew failed to return from a hunting trip near Lord's Cove earlier this month.

Morgan Hennebury, 39, of Lord’s Cove was hunting ducks on the morning of Jan. 20 when he slipped and fell some 30 or 40 feet down this embankment at Jigging Cove, breaking the femur bone in his leg. Uncle Bob Hennebury said the community response once word spread of the accident was fantastic. Photo Submitted

Morgan Hennebury, 39, left his home to hunt for ducks at 6:30 a.m. on the morning of Jan. 20.

When his wife sent out the alarm he had not come home, Bob and another uncle, Richard Hennebury, set out looking for him. Morgan was found 4:30 p.m. at the bottom of a 300-foot embankment in an area called Jigging Cove. He had fallen some 30 or 40 feet and broken the femur bone in his leg.

"The thing that saved him probably most was the fact he was dressed for the occasion. He had lots of warm clothes on."

Even so, Bob indicated his nephew's chin was turning purple and he was starting to shake. He pointed the fact the ocean was calm that day was another fortunate stroke.

"If it was a rough day, the sea would go up to where he was to, so he was lucky in a couple of ways."

Once he knew Morgan was generally okay other than the broken bone, Bob said he set off back to Lord's Cove to get some rope and other supplies for the rescue.

It didn't take long for word to spread.

"I started to splint up his leg, and in a matter of 10 minutes, I'd say there was 30 or 40 people there.

"The Lord's Cove Fire Department was there, plus pretty much every able-bodied man in the community, and we had a few residents of Lawn. Once they found out what was on the go, they came and lent a hand."

Bob indicated Morgan, who had taken off his mitts to take a shot just before he slipped, said man's best friend also played a role on that fateful day, as his nephew had brought along a water dog.

"He told me the only way he cold get his hands warm was when his dog used to come over and lie down alongside of him he'd put his hands in on her stomach, and every time he dozed off to sleep she'd start licking his face."

Through the massive effort, Bob indicated the group managed to hoist Morgan up the cliff strapped to a wooden sled. He was then taken to the U.S. Memorial Health Care Centre in St. Lawrence via ambulance before being transferred to St. John's.

As of late last week, Bob said the young man was "doing well" and expecting to be released this week.

"Once everybody found out what was going on, it was no trouble to get help."

Recent Stories