The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary (RNC) is advising the public of the release of high-risk violent sex offender Dennis Murphy.
Murphy, 59, was released following the completion of a federal sentence at Dorchester Penitentiary for sex offences against young females.
In a news release late Friday evening, the RNC said it has reasonable grounds to fear that Murphy will commit another violent sexual offence, citing descriptions of Murphy’s behaviour as predatory in that he commits sex offences against young and vulnerable females, often under the age of 18, by supplying them with drugs and alcohol.
The RNC said it has a duty to warn the public of the risk.
Murphy is residing in the Paradise area, police say. He is described as 5’6”, average build, with balding light grey hair.
The RNC cautioned the intent of the release is to enable citizens to take precautionary measures but is not intended to encourage people to engage in any form of harassment or vigilante action against Murphy and such actions will not be tolerated.
Murphy, according to the RNC, has been placed on a number of court-ordered conditions which include:
- Remain in his residence with curfew hours of 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily
- Do not possess any weapon
- Do not possess any knife or sharp object
- Do not attempt to communicate with any previous victims or their family members
- Do not possess, or consume any drug not prescribed by a medical professional
- Do not consume, purchase or be in the possession of alcohol
- Do not enter any bar or other establishment where alcohol sales is the primary source of business.
- Do not enter any home which is the residence of any child under the age of 18 unless in immediate and continued presence of parent/guardian of the child.
- Do not engage in any activity that involves contact with children under the age of 18, including through the use of a computer system
- Refrain from any activity, employment, or volunteer work that would bring him into contact with any person under the age of 18.
- Refrain from being present within 100 metres of any public park, swimming pool, daycare, school grounds, or community center where one might reasonably expect children under the age of 18 to be present.
- Refrain from entering any personal or romantic relationship or cohabitation (including common-law relationship or marriage) with anyone who is a parent of or is in the care of any child under the age of 18 unless they have been informed by a police agency of these conditions.
- Do not attend any shopping mall, retail outlet or other business for any purpose outside of conducting business and do not loiter, linger, initiate or encourage any contact with any person under the age of 18 while on such premises.
- Do not participate in any organization whether as a volunteer or otherwise where children under the age of 18 are expected to be present.
Anyone with information about any breaches of these conditions can contact the RNC at 729-8000.