Top News

Man charged in C.B.S. soccer field stabbing also faces charges from Nova Scotia

The young man suspected of stabbing an 11-year-old boy on a soccer field in Conception Bay South last fall is facing several other charges from Nova Scotia.

Nick Layman is escorted from provincial court in St. John’s Thursday after a judge indicated the 19-year-old was deemed mentally fit to stand trial. — Photo by Rosie Mullaley/The Telegram

When Nick Layman’s case was called in provincial court in St. John’s today, Layman wasn’t in the courtroom. He was represented by his lawyer, Joan Dawson.

Layman has been deemed mentally fit to stand trial, but remains at the Waterford Hospital to maintain his mental fitness. Since there is no video link from the hospital to court, he didn’t take part in proceedings.

Related stories:

Man charged in boy's stabbing on Newfoundland soccer field due in court

Suspected stabber mentally fit, but will stay at hospital

The 19-year-old has been charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and assault with a weapon.

However, prosecutor Phil LeFeuvre, who is handling the case for the Crown with Natalie Payne, told Judge Mike Madden today that Layman also has several less serious charges pending from last year in Nova Scotia.

In all, there are 14 charges which have been transferred from that province — seven counts of theft under $5,000, six counts of possessing stolen property and one count of breaching a recognizance. The thefts reportedly happened at Sobeys, Sears, Home Depot and Atlantic Superstore in Dartmouth; Sobeys in Halifax; and Walmart in Cole Harbour.

The crimes were said to have been committed within a two-week span — between May 23 and June 9, 2014, at a time when Layman reportedly lived in Dartmouth.

Dawson indicated that she hasn’t received all the information  from either the Nova Scotia files or the C.B.S. incident.

Lawyers agreed to set the case over until March 5.

Layman has been in custody since Sept. 25. That evening, the 11-year-old victim was one of many children on the soccer pitch in Topsail taking part in a skills camp when Layman reportedly leapt from the bleachers and stabbed him in the neck, chest and shoulders multiple times before fleeing.

The boy was taken to a St. John’s hospital and was in serious condition for weeks. He has since recovered and is back at school.

The incident garnered national attention and was listed by various media outlets as one of this province’s biggest stories of 2014.

Layman’s father, Scott, and stepmother, Doreen Layman, have told reporters that they had no idea of the severity of their son’s mental illness until the stabbing.

Twitter: @TelyCourt



Recent Stories