Top News

Man suspected of stabbing boy on soccer field sent for further psychiatric evaluation

The young man accused of trying to kill an 11-year-old boy in front of a crowd of children and adults at a soccer field last month has been sent for further psychiatric assessment.

Nicholas Robert Layman was back in provincial court in St. John's today.
He's accused of attempting to murder a boy on a Conception Bay South
soccer field last month. -- Photo by Rosie Mullaley/The Telegram

Nicholas Robert Layman was back in provincial court in St. John’s this morning.

The 19-year-old is suspected of stabbing the boy on a soccer field in Conception Bay South on Sept. 25.

Layman has been undergoing a psychiatric assessment since shortly after his arrest.

He’s charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and assault with a weapon.

Judge Pam Goulding indicated the court has received a letter from Dr. Jasbir Kaur Gill, a psychiatrist at the Waterford Hospital, requesting more time for the psychiatric evaluation.

Defence lawyer Joan Dawson and Crown prosecutor Phil LeFeuvre agreed to set the case over until Nov. 20.

Nov. 21 would mark the maximum 60-day limit for psychiatric assessments. Any longer and a hearing would be required to hear doctors’ testimony as to why more more than 60 days is needed.

Such an extensive assessment is usually required for people with serious mental illness.

Layman was calm during proceedings, turning to look at his family members, including his mother, Teresita Stapleton, his father Scott Layman and stepmother Doreen Layman.

Doreen and Scott Layman spoke to reporters outside the courtroom, indicating Nicholas has serious psychiatric issues. With tears in their eyes, they asked that people not be quick to judge him because of what he did.

The incident sent shock waves through the province.

A large number of children had been using the field when the incident occurred.

It’s alleged the boy was stabbed several times — in the neck, chest and shoulders.

He was taken to a St. John’s hospital and was in serious condition for weeks.

He has since recovered and is back at school, sources told The Telegram.

Twitter: TelyCourt

Recent Stories