The Princess of Wales has revealed that she is being treated for cancer

  • By Sean Coughlan
  • State Correspondent

video title,

WATCH: Princess of Wales' full video message

The Princess of Wales says she is in the early stages of treatment after being diagnosed with cancer.

In a video statement, Catherine says it's been a “huge shock” after an “incredibly difficult two months”.

But she sent a positive message: “I'm fine and getting stronger every day.”

Details about the cancer have not been released, but Kensington Palace said it was confident the princess would make a full recovery.

The Princess's statement explains that when she underwent stomach surgery in January, no cancer was found.

“Tests after the operation revealed cancer. So my medical team advised me to undergo preventive chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment,” said the princess.

Chemotherapy treatment began in late February. The palace says it will not share any more personal medical information, including the type of cancer.

The 42-year-old princess said she was thinking of everyone affected by cancer: “To everyone facing this disease, in whatever form, don't lose faith or hope. You are not alone.”

Catherine said she has taken an undisclosed amount of time to recover from her surgery in January and now her priority is to stabilize her family.

“William and I are doing everything we can to personally process and manage this for the benefit of our young family.”

The princess added: “It took us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that suited them and reassure them that I was going to be fine.”

He said the family now needed “some time, space and privacy”.

News of the princess' health was shared with the King and Queen ahead of Friday's announcement – and King Charles is also being treated for cancer.

Catherine and Prince William are now not expected to appear with the royal family on Easter Sunday, and the princess cannot return to her official duties early.

The palace also said Prince William's sudden absence from a memorial service on February 27 was due to Catherine's diagnosis of cancer.

image source, BBC Studios

image caption,

The Princess of Wales was captured in a video message where she announced that she was undergoing cancer treatment

After her surgery in January, the couple faced intense public speculation and social media frenzy about her health. After Christmas he did not attend any official functions.

In her video statement, she spoke of her family's support: “Having William by my side gives me comfort and reassurance.

“Like the love, support and kindness so many of you have shown, it means so much to both of us.”

The video of the princess was filmed by BBC Studios, the BBC's production arm, on Wednesday, Kensington Palace said.

In a statement, BBC News said: “Along with other media outlets, BBC News was briefed on the Kensington Palace announcement this afternoon.”

Calls for privacy from the palace have come after speculation and conspiracy theories about the royal couple.

On March 10, the princess issued an apology after photo agencies withdrew a photo of the princess for Mother's Day due to concerns about digital alterations.

Social media was abuzz with video footage showing Prince William and Catherine shopping in Windsor earlier this week.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said on Friday that Catherine had shown “tremendous bravery” with her statement, wishing her a “speedy recovery”.

He said: “He has come under intense scrutiny in recent weeks and has been treated unfairly in some media and social media around the world.

“Like everyone else when it comes to health matters, she should be given privacy to focus on her treatment and be with her loving family.”

Labor leader Sir Keir Starmer said his thoughts were with the royal family, saying he was “heartened” by Catherine's “optimistic tone and message of hope and confidence”.

He said: “Any cancer diagnosis is shocking. But I can only imagine the added stress of getting that news amid all the wild speculation we've seen in recent weeks.”

William and Catherine “have a right to privacy and, like any parent, wait to choose the right moment to tell their children”.

See also  Credit Suisse chief: 'Truly sorry' for bank's demise

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *